Friday, September 6, 2013

A summary of tests I've had for hives

So thought it might be helpful to share with all of you the various tests and experiments that I went through during my bout with chronic hives last year... maybe you have had the same or get additional ideas:

Bloodwork ordered by my Primary Care Doctor and/or Endocrinologist:
  • Thyroid hormone panel - detailed (TSH, free T3, free T4/calculated, T4, T3 uptake, Total T3) -- mine were all normal.
  • Thyroid antibodies test  (Thyroid Peroxidase & Thyroglobulin) -- I already knew I had these antibodies from a test years prior, they re-tested to confirm.
  • Autoimmune panel  (tested for things like double-stranded DNA, C3 & C4 complement, Sjorgen's, RA Factor, ANA screen, SED rate, and more) -- all of these were normal except ANA was positive but in a very low titer.
  • Celiac - negative.
  • Metabolic Panel - normal.
  • Vitamin D - mine was very low, but is now in normal range thanks to supplements.
  • Vitamin B12 - low-normal.
  • H Pylori (bacterial test) - normal.
Bloodwork ordered by Allergist:
  • IGE Serum  (screen for allergies) - slightly above normal range.
  • IGE Antibody - positive but in a very low titer.
  • Tree & Grass Pollens - positive across the board, very high for grass.
  • Tree Nuts - all bloodwork was negative, but skin scratch tests were positive for a few.
Dietary Changes Tried:
  • Gluten free for 4 months (useless; did nothing other than frustrate my life)
  • Paleo for 4 weeks  (no change other than created sleep disturbances and fatigue)
  • Eliminated added sugars for 2 months  (no change)
  • Eliminated tree nuts after getting positive allergy skin test results -- this will be a lifetime thing now, and I was told I need to carry an EpiPen.

Maybe this list will give you some ideas to explore with your doctor.  You can see how my results really didn't point to anything, which is why I now believe that mine MAY have been medication induced.  Good luck!!

2 comments:

  1. I recently end natural treatment from herbalist healer which i used to got rid of my hives i only applied the treatment for one week. it so amazing i eliminated this disease out from my body. i also recommend everyone suffering from this horrible disease should also be cure you can reach Dr Onokun via email; dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. your treatment tips are so unique and result oriented. thanks for the post.
    skin clinic in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete