Wednesday, August 20, 2014

False Alarm - and Why I Don't Promote Certain "Cures"

I should have provided an update sooner, but that one instance of "pressure hives" was not the start of a recurrence. I have been avoiding putting pressure on myself like that though, to avoid another possible case. Very happy to say that I am still hives-free.

However, I have recently received to this blog several posts (via comments) and messages from some who have found "cures" in homeopathic treatments. I have deleted these from my blog.

I have nothing against homeopathic medicine per se, and I do believe that it can be beneficial in certain cases. But when it comes to the issue of chronic idiopathic urticaria, homeopathy is not a silver bullet and in fact can be harmful. Chronic hives of this nature seem to stem from a complex "misfire" in the body's allergic and immune response system. I believe that its primary triggers are any combination of medications, foods, stresses, and immunologic diseases that find some odd interplay with each other.

Homeopathic treatments can be a rabbit hole. I personally had experience with this, in a desperate search for a way to rid myself of the hives, and was put on a very odd, highly restrictive diet that I ultimately abandoned after a few weeks. They told me that if I stayed on it for 4-6 months, the hives would go away. Well, guess what? After not being on that diet, my hives went away 3 months after I saw the homeopathic person. My belief today is that they just ran their course, as my body adjusted to find its way back to homeostasis. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeostasis)

My best advice now is similar to what I've given in the past:
1) Try to maintain as healthy a lifestyle as you can, in moderation: diet, physical activity, no smoking etc.
2) Examine any recent additions or changes of medications and supplements, even 1-2 months prior to hives onset.
3) Examine any recent dietary changes or use of chemical-based consumer products (soaps, detergents) within 1-2 months prior to hives onset.
4) Find a good doctor who will check autoimmune markers, often called an autoimmune panel of bloodwork.
5) It's worth visiting an allergist to get food and environmental allergy testing. The body's allergy sensitivities can change every several years, so it's worth seeing if yours has too. (http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424053111903480904576510302458640840)

I am a huge proponent of evidence-based medicine, but I also believe in natural management approaches. With my 5 points listed above, you don't see me advocating high-dosing of antihistamines and steroids, which I certainly tried with little success when I actively had the hives. I do advocate gathering information to rule in or out things that may be the triggers. My goal was always to address the source of the issue, not just try to mask the symptoms.

Good luck!


3 comments:

  1. Hi there! I am a writer with Everydayhealth.com working on an article about living with hives. I was hoping you might be willing to share your story, name, hometown, and some of your experiences with our readers. Email me: madeline.vann@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should really check out joettecalabrese.com

    ReplyDelete