Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria - Targeting the "Idiopathic" part

I've been hive free for the past two days. Took my antihistamine on Sunday and Monday, but for past two days, have been able to do without. I am keeping watch a few times a day, to see if any are cropping up.

Idiopathic means that the cause is unknown, hence CIU (chronic idiopathic urticaria) is used for cases like me.

Interestingly, there seems to be a lot of medical research happening that link the bacteria H. Pylori to CIU, and that treating H. Pylori is leading to a 'cure' rate of around 70% for those suffering from chronic hives of unknown cause.

That is certainly not a test that I've had yet, so I am definitely going to ask my PCP about it! There seem to be three testing options: bloodwork, breath test (after drinking some kind of fluid -- blechh!), or the much more invasive endoscopy where they remove a tissue sample for lab testing.

I found this link to a study done in India a few years ago, with very promising findings and results:
http://www.indianjmedsci.org/article.asp?issn=0019-5359;year=2008;volume=62;issue=4;spage=157;epage=162;aulast=Yadav

The CDC website has more details on H. Pylori and the tests that can be done, including the reliability of those tests to accurately screen for the bacteria:
http://www.cdc.gov/ulcer/keytocure.htm

Not that I want to have to endure a course of antibiotics, but any information can help and then I can make a decision accordingly!


No comments:

Post a Comment