Monday, April 1, 2013

Heat rash and flushing continue - bad today. Next trial: birth control pill change?

Well... today was a stressful travel day and I was exposed to some heat.  My husband and I took a nice walk late morning and I got a bit sweaty with the sun being out, and ended up with a nice red rash on one arm and along my bra underwire area. I took a lukewarm shower and that helped to fade them away. Then this evening, after a stressful flight home (very turbulent), I have been getting a mild heat rash on-and-off all evening on my lower left arm of all places. Also my neck has it too.

I have yet another idea for something I am going to try, if the doctor will allow it: changing my oral contraceptive, which I need to use to control my endometriosis and very heavy menstrual flow. So I have an appt tomorrow with my Gyne to discuss this. When I looked back on my journals from last year, the flushing started 2 weeks after I started the pill (and the hives 6 weeks after, though I think the hives are still a separate issue).  And I have been on that same pill this whole past year.  Maybe the hormones have made my skin more reactive and sensitive? So it's worth trying to change to a different one that has a slightly different hormonal make-up, that's my thinking.

One thing that also has me on edge:  I have a small red circle "under the skin" on my left palm.  This was the precursor to the chronic hives last summer. I had one, then a few, then within a week's time, the hives emerged. I am concerned that this means the hives are on their way back.

I still haven't taken any antihistamine since... November, I'd say? So if they return before I start taking any antihistamine, I can rule that out as a cause or trigger, at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment