Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Different Variation of Hives: Small, Red Dots

This evening as I was washing up for bed, I noticed small red, perfectly circular "dots" on my left palm -- as though they are "under the skin." I also have a few on the top of my hand and inner wrist. But these aren't like the usual wheals of hives, which tend to be more randomly circular and often have a raised surface with some white or lighter color in the middle.

So, I'm doing the run-down in my head: What could have triggered this? I ate nothing out of the ordinary tonight. I washed some dishes by hand, but wouldn't that affect both hands vs. just one? I went to yoga this evening, and class was more fast-paced and hot than usual, so maybe this is due to the extra exertion? I also had a stressful morning at work today too. But for them to appear 8 hours later?

The physical stress of the yoga class plus the workday stress certainly support the theory that these may be stress triggered. I have read in a few places online that it is the result of stress raising cortisol levels in the body, and the body reacting to that similarly to an allergy.

However, I am puzzled by the different appearance of these marks, which look more like a rash vs. urticaria.

I am thinking that tomorrow morning, I will start back on daily antihistamine (my choice is Allegra) for a few weeks and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment