Thursday, December 6, 2012

Bad news - must stop the thyroid hormone

My latest thyroid bloodwork came back, after being on the thyroid hormone for 4 weeks. My TSH was significantly low (0.05!), meaning going to "hyper-active" thyroid state. It explains also why I have felt more anxious on the past week and had an unintentional weight loss of 2 lbs. So, my endocrinologist's office told me to discontinue it altogether, and that if the hives return, to call them and maybe we can consider a lower dose at a less frequent  interval. Only time will tell.

I can't totally say for certain if it was the synthroid that cleared up my hives. They seemed to have been fading out slowly before I started it, so it could be timing. If they come back in some noticeable way, then I would probably say the synthroid did help.

The heat rash/cholinergic urticaria continues though, more often it seems lately than before. Or maybe I am just paying more attention to it. I had red rashing on my face, mostly forehead this morning after my shower. Last night a bit on my lower legs when getting ready for bed.

I found an interesting blog about cholinergic urticaria and chronic heat rash:
http://www.registerednursern.com/nurse/cholinergic-urticaria/

One of the things it talks about is a reduced or inability to sweat in many people suffering from that type of rash. I don't know if that is me, because I have been avoiding rigorous exercise for many months due to its tendency to trigger the regular hives outbreaks. But I should probably assess if that is the case for me, maybe will do that this evening.

I miss long hot showers! I miss baths! I miss working out!! :(


No comments:

Post a Comment