Saturday, November 3, 2012

Diet Shmiet, the Hives Return Anyway

As they did before after two weeks off the antihistamine, the chronic hives remission is over: they came back in more numbers this morning, which was day 13 of no allegra. I had the pressure hives all along my panty line again, where the elastic presses in. Yesterday, I had a hive on my neck in the morning, and later two on my right hand.

So it seems that the diet changes of eliminating those foods listed for me by the naturopath's person was not helping. After popping my antihistamine this morning, I have since enjoyed some rice, potatoes, spicy pulled chicken, and a gluten-free scone. If I'm going to have hives anyway, may as well enjoy my food. I will continue to stay gluten-free for awhile longer though.

At this point, I am nearly out of options to pursue. I still have a few things in my back pocket if I want to push for them or want to try them, but they come with their own risks:

  • Try the thyroid synthetic hormone, though with that, comes a host of other possible other issues that might emerge if I don't really need the hormones at this stage, since my Hashimoto's has been sub-clinical.
  • Ask the rheumatologist that I saw what this other medication was that he was going to suggest. (He had wanted me to try gluten-free for a few months first.)
  • See about getting a gallbladder scan, since I did read about a few cases where poorly functioning gallbladders have been to blame due to release of more toxins into the body. But I don't seem to have any other symptoms that would suggest a gallbladder issue.
I was in a pretty down mood for the first half of the day. But finally the sun has come out this afternoon, so I took my dog for a nice long (chilly) walk to enjoy the feel of the sunshine. That lifted my spirits a bit.

Working on acceptance is going to be hard for me. I am amazed that medical science doesn't not understand the pathology behind chronic idiopathic urticaria; without knowing that, there is really no great way to know how to treat it.

If anyone else out there has any other ideas or pursuits to try, I would love to hear them!


No comments:

Post a Comment