Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thyroid medication continues, no hives...

So I am day 15 now on the thyroid hormone. In the past week, I've had a couple more occasions where reddish circles form, maybe one or two small ones per day, but never truly become wheals. But for the past 5 days, I have been completely hive free -- not even those reddish circles. I do still get the rashing/flushing now and then. I am getting heartburn and gas pains really bad too, every other day. I went back to eating my regular diet, except for gluten, the same time that I started the thyroid medication. I contacted my dr. about the heartburn, and she said it is not a reported side effect of this drug -- but that the best way to find out is to go off of the drug for a week, and if the issue resolves, it's the drug and if not, it's something else i.e. diet. I am going to wait until after the Thanksgiving holiday weekend to try going off of the thyroid medication. If I remain hive-free through this stressful weekend, then I know they thyroid medication is helping and the question becomes what to do about this new issue of heartburn and gas. :( argh!! Here I am with that whack-a-mole game again.

I got my hair colored over the past weekend, and not a hive to be found this time. I also asked the hairdresser to use lukewarm vs. hot water on me, thinking maybe that will help, since heat seems to often be a trigger for the rashing and sometimes the hives too. But not even a rash this time either, so that was very nice!

I did find this very useful write-up on Wikipedia about Cholinergic Urticaria -- which creates that rashing/flushing and hives with increased body temperature, the part that jumped out at me is that this often co-exists with people who have CIU:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholinergic_urticaria

We have a long car ride for the Thanksgiving trip. Some other sufferers of chronic urticaria say that long car rides, bike rides, etc. due to the vibrations can cause a hives outbreak. Gosh, I hope that won't happen.

Next time I post, the trip will be over and we'll see how things are going with the hives, heartburn, and medication!

Happy Thanksgiving...


No comments:

Post a Comment