Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Thyroid hormone treatment for hives - Experiment has begun!

Yesterday morning, I started the daily prescription of a low-dose thyroid medication, for a trial period to see how it goes. No side effects noticed, thankfully. The endocrinologist wants me to get all my thyroid panel re-tested in a month and see me in two months, to review how I am doing and feeling and to make sure first and foremost that the med doesn't make me go hyperthyroid. My PCP "signed off" on the decision too (I contacted her first to get her opinion).

I have decided to also stop the antihistamine, so that I can truly monitor the impact on the hives without having that as a variable.

No hives since this past Saturday, and no more of that heat rashing I had a few times on Sunday. But it is early days -- these meds usually take a few weeks before any effect can be registered. And I have gone sometimes a whole week without a single hive. Rare, but it's happened a few times.

I continue to be back to eating my normal diet except as stated prior, I will remain gluten-free for the foreseeable future. I think it's good practice since I have been diagnosed with the autoimmune disease Hashimoto's.

Fingers crossed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment